Monday 16 December 2019

Bereavement through a new lens


Last month the Office for National Statistics released the news that the annual number of stillbirths in the UK fell by around 350 between 2017 and 2018. This is really welcome news and although it means that there are still thousands of families who endure the pain that the death of a baby brings, that’s 350 fewer families than the year before. 

It means that ’15 babies a day’ no longer reflects the situation. It’s 14 a day – that’s 14 too many of course, but it’s a step in the right direction towards our goal of halving this number by 2025. 

A number of you have asked whether that means I will only do 14 marathons in 14 months and reduce my original target! I did consider this but only fleetingly, and will continue with my plan for 15 in 15 months as that was the target I set and I’m geared up to do it. 

Marathon 3 - Thames Meander in November

It’s been six weeks plus since the last marathon, and I’ve been trying to slim down a bit by eating more protein and less fat and carbs in my diet, to try to ease some of the aches and pains of running. It’s slow progress but seems to be helping a bit. We’ll soon find out on Sunday, as it’s the 4thmarathon in the series, this time the Coastal Marathon around Portsmouth and Hayling Island. I have mixed feelings about it – from a physical and mental perspective I am feeling in a good place. However having run many times in Southsea I’m aware it could be absolutely freezing with the wind coming off the Solent (and I’ve heard rumours of mud, puddles and shingle) but on a sunny day it can be a beautiful course to enjoy. As it’s reasonably local I’m hoping a few family and friends will come out to support the effort. 

I’m overwhelmed by the response so far – we are over 50% towards the target of £2,500, having only completed 20% of the challenge! I can’t thank you enough for your support and encouragement along the way. Having met a number of bereaved parents at some of the workshops I've been running across the country recently, I've been reminded of just how much a difference every £1 makes in terms of the support and care they might not have otherwise received. 

Favourite view from the woods 
This marathon will have extra significance as it’s the first one since our special friend Beth died last month. She was a great supporter of ours and so encouraging of my attempt to push myself, indeed any challenges her friends went for she was right behind them. It’s been a tough few weeks, but the support of the parkrun community where we knew Beth so well, has been inspiring as everyone has rallied round her husband and very young son, and one another. 

We’ve seen bereavement through a new lens these last few weeks, and it makes us even more determined to do all we can to support those in need. It's made some of the recent training runs in the woods more reflective. 

I hope to put up a blog after the marathon on Sunday and before Christmas kicks in. But if I don’t, can I wish you all a really happy and restful one with the ones you love, and a great 2020. And thank you once again for your amazing support on this adventure. 

Marc

No comments:

Post a Comment