Friday 27 September 2019

Midway report: the ups and downs of running


So here we are halfway between the first marathon in the New Forest and the second in Reading on 19 October. Since I left Brockenhurst almost three weeks ago  I’ve experienced the highs and lows of running, which has helped me reflect on how fortunate I am - on so many levels. 

Firstly to say we’re really grateful for the great support we’ve received over the past few weeks since the first marathon was completed. 

Secondly, what a relief to have a bit of rest. Having come through the first of the 15 marathons reasonably unscathed, I took a few days off running to try and restore the legs, with just a couple of recovery runs in the first week after New Forest. With six weeks in between the first and second marathon I knew I had the luxury of a few days to rest up, so took full advantage (though I should’ve probably been more careful in regard to food portions and breaking a midweek no alcohol rule!) in that first week. My recovery run of six miles coincided with Jayne's final 12 mile training run for her half marathon (more below) and it was great to trot round Fair Oak together - painful as it was for both of us! A couple of days later I ran a surprisingly quick parkrun (26 minutes) when visiting Southsea with 20+ friends from our Thrive Church running community. We are so fortunate to have such a supportive group of friends and family, and it was good to celebrate some of their parkrun milestones whilst we were there. 
Thrive go on a Southsea trip

I gradually began building up the miles again, planning a long run for 2 hours - around 12 miles, during week 2 and an 18 miler this week- week 3 before tapering down again. 

My brother in law has recently taken up running and done rather well rather quickly, (a source of both inspiration and admittedly some envy - in just a few months he has already run a sub 21 parkrun, something those of us running mid 20s are still dreaming of.) It's always great to run with him though and fortunately this week our diaries enabled us to meet up. We set off from the  Botley car park rendezvous and headed down the country lanes through to the beautiful Manor Farm country park; just gently running and chatting at a steady/slow pace, enjoying a catch up and the wonderful views of the River Hamble in the morning sun. The park gives you the opportunity to run through fields, woods, tracks and river paths, a wonderful mix of terrain; largely flat but with some undulation. Not particularly challenging, but enough to keep you mindful of your surrounds. A great place to run and chat. 
Speedy Pete


Without realising it we had reached the halfway point and headed back to the car, and all was well. A quick drink - he headed off after his six miles and I went back out for another loop of the park. As I headed back towards the park and down the lanes I lost myself in a podcast mashup (mine tend to consist of a mix of Brexit, panel comedy shows and sport- many great moments with the cricket this summer) - everything was on track. 

Beautiful Manor Farm and River Hamble


Then - disaster! As I trotted through the woods listening to the latest Brexit shenanigans being unpacked, I stumbled over a protruding tree root and went flying. Graceful it was not! These things seem to happen in slow motion, and in that moment so many things flashed through my mind.... if I land badly I’ll miss the next marathon... I’m going to end up with a mouthful of dirt... please God don’t let me twist an ankle...is anyone watching -or worse filming- me?

I ended up on my back looking up at the tree tops and sky above, gathering my thoughts and assessing the damage. Two badly bruised and bleeding knees, the same outcome for one elbow. Wounded pride, badly winded but overall, actually not as bad as it could have been. I told myself to just dust yourself down, get your breath back, channel your inner Mo Farah and get your Chumbawumba on - I get knocked down but I get up again etc. But actually it was really tough to do that and I just wanted to lie there for a while. It reminded me that it’s great to have a friend alongside you because it halves the job of getting back up - at the point I fell, I could really have done with Pete there to help me up again, (even with the embarrassment of it all). It felt pretty lonely for a while and a bit daunting to get back up and at it to be honest.

The fall had come out of the blue; everything had been going to plan, just getting on with it and, boom! your world literally turned upside down, fortunately for me, for only for a few seconds. For many, a momentary event leads to a lifetime of pain. Luckily I managed to get up and (albeit very gingerly) to jog round and back to the car. Every foot strike reminded me how sore it was, and it hurt like it had aged 8 on the school football pitch, but I was still standing.  That afternoon the bruises came up but ice and antiseptic cream eased the worst of it. The next morning I was stiff as a board, and every time I got up from the desk it ached bad. But a couple days later it had largely gone. A few encouraging comments on Strava reminded me not just of how lucky I was to have had avoided a nasty injury but also just how supportive a group of friends can be.  Within 3 days I was able to run 7 miles including a decent parkrun at Eastleigh where it was great to see chief support crew in Kev and Suzie. 

Emboldened by the purchase of some new trail shoes I have found online- I set off on another week’s training. Convincing myself that the new shoes will keep my feet on the ground and my backside off the floor, I head for the river again on my next long run- this time the Itchen. I assiduously look out for every tree root or obstacle along the way. Eleven miles in and everything is going well, despite the intermittent, apocryphal rain which is causing havoc on the nearby roads; I’ve navigated the River Itchen path up to Winchester and have turned for home. Having crossed a flooded road without taking too much rain on board my new shoes,  I slightly misjudge a puddle whilst heading up a slight incline along the towpath and slide ingloriously back down the bank, skidding along my left thigh through a few feet of wet mud. I manage to avoid falling in the river and manage to get a grip (literally and metaphorically) and get to my feet more quickly than the previous week. My left leg and shorts are plastered in mud but thankfully it is a much softer landing than the previous week. 

In the past I think I may well have quit there and then or at least stomped away in a bit of a strop- twice in a week is enough- but with the experience of the previous week in the locker I get up again, grateful for a smoother landing than last week, and head for home. It’s wet, it’s grim, there's 8 or so miles to go and I can feel the blisters beginning to form, but it’s all worth it.

The muddy one - not the bloody one! (too gross to share)


I am looking forward to the next marathon with Saturn Running in Reading in three weeks time. Although it will be a challenge to run 8 laps of 3.5 miles (I always prefer a circular route, or at least an out and back), it’s great that a few family and Thrive friends are coming along to run a lap or half a lap with me. I’m also thrilled that a colleague from another charity I’m working with announced this week that she is going to join me in running the Thames Meander marathon on November 2nd. Welcome aboard, Sharon! Further, our daughter's singing tutor has offered to put on an operatic concert in the new year to support the fundraising activity.  These are just three of many examples of the support we’ve received on the journey thus far.  

But for now the focus turns to this Sunday and the Windsor Half Marathon. Not for me this one, but Jayne is running her first half marathon ever. I’m so proud of her, for her determination to reach new limits, she’s worked so hard over the last few months building up for this. This will be her running her longest distance ever! She been an amazing support to me during my challenge and I hope to return the favour, in part at least, on Sunday. She deserves it! Four years ago she didn’t own a pair of trainers so it’s been a great journey for her. Six months of building up from 10k to 10miles and now 13.1 miles is a real challenge for her too. The weather looks absolutely dreadful but it will be worth it for the feeling of crossing the line and the new medal around her neck. Whilst she’s not formally registered as running for Sands she will be wearing her Sands running vest and has asked that if anyone wants to support her they can contribute to my marathon challenge page. It would be fantastic to pass on any messages of encouragement you have for her too! 
Jayne helping me towards the finish of the Bournemouth marathon in 2015

I'll update further after Reading on the 19th October.  Thanks again for your great encouragement and for your support of Sands 

M&J 

No comments:

Post a Comment